No one likes being sick. While it might feel nice to have a day or two off work, lie on the couch with whatever combination of food/drinks that sound best in your current state, morning sickness is a whole other ball game.
Your body is thrown a curve ball of hormones and other drastic bodily changes unlike anything you may have felt during the common cold or flu.
No matter what kind of sickness you are experiencing, no one wants to go through it alone. So think of me as your electronic personal bestie when it comes to morning sickness; someone who will be there to hear you and in return give some advice on how to combate and comfort you during this new game of morning sickness while making sure you come out on top.
Okay! Let’s get on to kicking morning sickness in the butt.
- Choose foods that will land well. In general, it’s advised to keep to eating foods high in protein and low in fat, but the most important thing to remember is to find healthy food that you can eat without feeling sick during or after.
- Drink up! Sip water, ginger ale, sparkling water, whatever helps your stomach. Just make sure you are drinking lots of water along with whatever else you might be sipping on.
- It helps to have lots of little snacks throughout the day instead of having big meals.
- Try eating a little bit of cracker, bread, or something settling before going to bed or getting up in the morning if those are times when your stomach tends to be more upset.
- Watch for nausea triggers and give them the attention they deserve! They will help guide you into feeling your best.
- Make sure to get lots of fresh air! Letting your body breathe in good natural air can help soothe an upset stomach.
- Take your prenatals with food and at a time in the day when you feel the least sick. You want to make sure to keep down all the nutrients and vitamins you are getting from those prenatals.
- There are many chews/drops that help decrease the amount of nausea you feel such as ginger chews or Preggie Pop Drops. Certain oils such as magnesium have also been known to significantly decrease nausea. (Find both Preggie Pops and magnesium at our shop VGMC!) Any of these drops/chews or oils are great to try throughout the day or between snacks and meals.
- Rest when you can and know that it’s okay to rest! Both you and your babe need it. :)
- And just another reminder that even if drinking or eating doesn’t sound the best, you and your baby need the hydration and the nutrients so try the best you can to find things that settle well. Just go one snack/meal at a time.
I hope one or more of these tips works for you in the game against morning sickness! You will win this game and before you know it, you’ll be through it all and have a sweet lil babe to hold and love even more than you already do.
Take care of yourselves and I’ll be back soon!
Love, Chloe Allen